Monday, January 18, 2016

Sev Tamatar: Sev Tomato: Rajasthan/Marwadi Style



Its super cold in London. No I am not kidding. The other day while coming back from office the wind was so harsh and cold I thought I will die before I reach home. I had my jumpers on, a thick black overcoat buttoned up and long boots, all sorted. But the wind was unkind and stony. It blew my hair in the cruelest way possible, slapped on my face, my fingers were numb and ears shocked. With all struggle I finally reached home. Home sweet home. Ah these winters make me so angry and lazy. What shall I cook for dinner-my next battle!

Quick look in the fridge, the chapatti dough was ready. So let’s make some quick lazy subji/curry. There you go; no veggies in the fridge-another challenge for the day. First I thought to make my favorite papad ki subji, the no veggie curry but then I saw a packet of namkeen, and it had to be Sev Tamatar Ki Subji-the Rajasthani or marwadi style. So what is sev- sev is spicy fried gram flour noodles. It can be eaten just like a snack. The packets are easily available in any indian store and if you haven’t you MUST try it.


More Rajasthan/Marwari Subji (curry):

Sev tamatar ki subji is sev and tomato curry. Two types are famous- the gujarati style which is called as sev tameta nu shak and rajasthani style. Gujarat curry is bit tangy and sweet, whereas rajasthan is spicy and hot. Born and bought up in rajasthan this curry is very special to my heart. The days when mom had less mood to cook, was not well or no vegetables were available this curry came in handy. She would ask my father or brother to buy a packet of namkeen and then start preparing for the subzi. In this recipe you can use ratlavi sev, moti sev, spicy sev or even garlic (lehsun) sev. I have used Kohinoor bhujia sev.




You just need basic Indian spices, garlic, tomatoes and sev. It took me 10 minutes in total to prepare this curry. Served it with some Indian kachumber salad and chapatti. The dinner was enjoyed and I was bit ok with novelty of winters.

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups Tomatoes chopped finely
5 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 medium size onion chopped finely
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1/4 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder/dhaniya
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
Salt to taste
Pinch of sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup sev/namkeen/bhujia
2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves

Method:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add cumin, let it splutter.
Add garlic and chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute or till onion turns soft.
Add chopped tomatoes and all the spices. Mix and cook tomatoes till they turn soft and mushy.
Add 2 cups or water and sugar. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
Add sev and coriander leaves. Mix and serve.



Notes:
Add sev just before serving else it will become soggy.
I have used kashmiri red chilli powder, it gives good colour but is not very spicy.



14 comments:

  1. This is really interesting... I wouldn't want any chapathis with it for sure... yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this dish many times but never tried...now I will try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tasted Sev Tamatar during our Gujarat trip. It was spicy, tangy and tasty . Loved it with pav. It is quite cold here too Sweta, but hearing your London 'cold' updates, guess Delhi winters are nothing ! Stay warm ! Tempting pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so tempting, tomato sev combination is always tasty

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! these is something new to me. Looks super delicious and lovely clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks super tempting dear..had tasted it some years back.. Stay safe dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how a cold wind feels like. It's so damn cold here too. The other day temperature was -28°C. Stay warm. And this sev tamatar. I would need some nice chapaatis and I would be the happiest person in the whole wide world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never added sev in side dish this looks super yum..I should try

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally believe you..I thought I would die everyday while I was in Scotland, it's so COLD!! This looks so comforting, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sev tamatar my favourite sabzi..........love it with bhakri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove sev tameta.... It is also famous in gujrat

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG fantástica receta me gustan mucho los fideos con salsa se ve muy delicioso,abrazos

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)