Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Marwadi Or Rajasthani Lehsun Ki Chutney/ Spicy Garlic Chutney- For Almost Anything


When you are away from some things or someone only then you realize how important those things are or how much you miss them. For example, after wedding you miss spending time with your parents- you miss your mom’s cooking, dad’s scolding, arguing with your sibling and the home where you were born; or you miss your school/college days- playing with your friends, pranks on teachers, even those punishments and sharing tiffin during recess. Well, time and tide waits for none, and we all must thank Mr. Graham Bell for inventing telephone, at least we can call up our parents, brothers and sisters and friends and talk about our lives or recall those golden days.

While some inventions have made our lives easy, some inventions are still to take place. If you follow me on Facebook, you must know that I and my husband went for holiday in Turkey and I shared the pic Here. Turkey offers great variety of dishes for vegetarians and I will love to post about that soon. Even though Turkish cuisine just like the Indian also possess lot of spices but the overall taste is not very spicy, thus I missed very hot and peppery Indian food. Every day I would eat raw green chillies or some pickle to suffice my craving but no invention could fill that gap- no telephonic call-no skype. :)


So finally we reached London and the very next day I died in to make spicy-no wait- very spicy, Marwadi Or Rajasthani Lehsun Ki Chutney. This chutney is mother of all the chutneys that I have made so far- as this our traditional recipe being followed over ages-finger licking good. Ofcourse highly spiced and very garlicky but indeed a must have with plain simple Yellow Daal or Tava Pulav and if you want carve up the whole rajasthani thali with Dal Bati and Churma. No rajasthani would have their Bajre Ki Roti or Gatte Ki Subji or Papad Ki Subji or Marwadi Aloo Pyaz Ki Subji without this chutney on side. Mr. Husband and myself love the classic way- spread the thick layer on Massala Parathas- roll and bite:)

After a quick call with Maa, and noting the ingredients and method I was all set to go. Maa strictly advised to add little water as this chutney is very much like paste- coarse and thick. Another instruction was to use sarson ka tel (mustard oil) for tadka which uplifts the taste and gives boost to flavors and aroma. Little warning though- this is very spicy and garlicky (I told this so many times-I know!!) so please adjust as per your taste and do read my serving suggestions in the end- I have some pretty awesome ideas :)


Ingredients:
1/4 cup dried whole red chillies/sukhi lal mirch
1/4 tablespoons whole coriander seeds/sabut dhaniya
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves/dhaniya
10 cloves garlic/lehsun
1 large tomato chopped
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon kashmiri red chilli powder/lal mirch
2 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons mustard oil

Method:
Soak red chillies and coriander seeds overnight. If you dont have time, just boil them up in water till chillies turn soft. Drain water and keep aside.
In the grinder, grind soaked red chillies and coriander seeds, salt, lemon juice, sugar, red chilli powder, tomato, coriander leaves and garlic. Blend in to paste.
Next heat mustard oil in the pan. When oil turns very hot, switch off the flame and add in the grinded paste. Mix well.

Notes:
While grinding- resist adding water. If you have added water try to evaporate excess water on heat after mixing in the oil.
You can also add mint leaves in this chutney however the authentic recipe doesn't call for it.
Again, please adjust spice and garlic level as per your taste.
This keeps well in fridge in air tight container for 10 days.


Serving suggestions:
Serve as a side with dosa, idli or cheelas.
Great accompaniment with sandwiches and rolls and savory snacks like pakodas, dhoklas, momos or tikkis.
Serve the Indian way with daal and rice or parathas.
You can also serve as a dip for bread, nachos or crackers.
This goes well as a spread for tacos, enchiladas, frankies or pitta pockets.

21 comments:

  1. Chutney looks tempting dear........ Like the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling over it shweta! yumm yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. always love this garlic flavored chutney.. I can get the flavor here. and with chapthi.. super..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such tempting and wonderful pictures!!! Chutney looks hot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drooling at the sight of that chutney... so delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  6. tempting and spiccyy ones... my family would divorce me if i serve them this.. hehe... i love spicy food whereas no one else in the family.. tempting clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother-in-law makes a similar chutney and I totally love it. Lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chutney looks so tempting. I can eat extra two more chapatis with this yummy chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garlic flavor looks appetzing,Shweta...flavorful !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh ....Spicy yummy goodness ...How is ur health now ?feeling good .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww Priya.....how sweet of you to ask. Thanks :-) doing good

      Delete
  11. quite a different way of making chutney.. looks inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shwetha..
    Is it 1/4 CUP of red chillies and 1/4 CUP of coriander seeds? Found it confusing.. Kindly clear.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its tabespoons, I mentioned in there :)
      Thanks

      Delete
    2. So it's 1/4 cup of red chillies and 1/4 tablespoon of coriander seeds?Am i right? Pls correct.Want to try this recipe. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. yes :) Do share the pics when its ready ):)

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for the recipe.. I haven't prepared it yet.. But I am sure this taste as same as I ate in chokhi Dhani. Which was accompanied with bajra roti.. And trust me that was the best food item I tasted n now want to try some same taste in my kitchen. I wish I can get the same taste. Thanks again for traditional garlic chutney recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)