Thursday, July 31, 2014

Plum Chutney: Ber Ki Chuntey: Indian Inspired Plum Jam/Pickle


Indians love chutneys; they serve it as a dip for spicy daal pakodas, or as a side with tawa pulav or aloo parathas. It is also used as a spread for sandwiches and crackers. Why not? After all making chutney is an easy affair. I visited borough market a week back and those of you who are in the London will know how amazing Borough Market is! It is a heaven for food lovers-right from tasty food stalls to fresh fruits and vegetables-you have everything there. After buying a big bag of fruits and veggies, my eyes were hooked on to the red plums they were fresh and alive- so juicy and perfectly matured. I had to pick them up. Period.


Scene after 4 days:
   Mr. Husband- I am bored, I cannot eat plums every day.
   Me- well I agree, but I cannot throw them away.
   Mr. Husband-Do something but I am not going to have another plum for the whole  month.
   Me-Ok! Let me see what I can do.

I did quick search on the Google, all I find was some cake or jam recipes, and I certainly did not want to add refined flour or butter to the healthy plums. I mean did you know? plums are low in calories (46 calories per 100 g) and contain no saturated fats; however, contain numerous health promoting compounds, minerals and vitamins. Amazing isn’t it? What can I do, what can I make? Oh yes, if you can prepare jam with it, why not transformed it to chutney?

Scene on 5th day. I served this chutney with Dosa. 
   Mr. Husband- Oh you made tomato chutney (because they both look same).
   Me- Yes, you like tomatoe chutney with dosa-thats why.
   Mr. Husband- oh chutney is very nice- spicy, tangy and beautifully red.

Scene after dinner-
   Mr. Husband- Did you throw away the plums, I cant see them.
   Me- (with a smile) Oh that, you just ate, remember the chutney you relished.
   Mr. Husband- (with a smile) Oh my god! Such an innovative idea- Chutney was indeed awesome.


Beautiful plums are cooked with fennel seeds and ginger do create some magic. Cooking plums is a great way to bring out their natural sweetness, its flavour profile intensifies and you are left with something so simple yet so elegant, you won’t believe your taste buds. A life saver recipe!

Ingredients:
2 cups Red Plums
¼ cup jiggery/gud
3-4 Green Chillies, finely chopped
½ inch Ginger/adrak, peeled and grated
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder/ Haldi
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
1 teaspoon fennel seeds/saunf
1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds/rai/sarso
2 tablespoon oil

Method:
Deseed the plums and chop them rougly.
In a pan heat oil, add in mustard and cumin seeds. Let is pop and splutter. Bring heat to low.
Add in chopped green chillies and fennel seeds. Cook till chillies and fennel seeds turn brown. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. 
Press and mash the plums with the back of the spoon.
Finally add in plums,grated ginger, turmeric and salt.
Mix in the jiggery and cook till chutney becomes thick.


Notes:
You might need to increase the amount of jiggery based on the sweetness or sourness of plums.
If you want you can add sugar instead of jiggery.
You can keep this for 2-3 weeks when stored in refrigerator in an air tight jar.

Serving suggestion:
Use in wraps or in pitta pockets with salad
Serve as dip with crackers, chips or nachos
Great side for idli, dosa, chilla or Indian flat bread.

16 comments:

  1. Color of the chutney is too lovely, delicious and tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fruity,different and definitely a delicious chutney..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice well written post and beautiful and colorful chutney recipe....good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow stunning pics,love the first pic,chutney looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  5. so tempting, got to try this when we have plum season which is in Dec. Didn't the skin of the plums make your chutney a bit bitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now when you say even I think so. But it dint get bitter at all. I mean may be because of balance of green chilli's heat and sweetness of jaggery) Try it:)

      Delete
  6. loved reading the conversation and the chutney recipe...visit my space too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks:) I love when someone read my posts:) Will surely visit:)

      Delete
  7. Wow the chutney looks too tempting..never thought of making chutney with plums...thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe dear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the intense color of the chutney. .loved reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you write both the English and Hindi word for the ingredients because its super helpful! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)