Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday's Tip- How To Make Puri/Puchka/Golgappa At Home From Scratch?




Today I won’t ramble much in the post. We all love pani puri...i am sure girls do. Today I just want to share the amazing way of making Puri/Pakodi/Patashe/puchkas/golgappa at home from scratch. I must confess that it is easy but time consuming but once you learn how to do it you will be so happy to see the results.

After coming to London I used to miss pani puri a lot, you do get readymade ones in the market but they are way too expensive and I find it little tasteless (very less salt). Last weekend I tried making my own and I was super thrilled to see each one of it fluffing up so well.

See this tip If you-
  • Like making things from scratch.
  • Love Pani Puri and can’t find where you reside.
  • Always prefer homemade hygienic products.
  • Want to save money.
Yes making puri at home means you are sure which ingredients goes in and which oil is used for frying, it is way too economical and the happiness of successful cooking is beyond words.

Things you will need:
1/2 cup semolina/suji/rava
2 tablespoon all purpose flour/maida
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
oil for frying
water to knead the dough
2 wet towels/napkins

Method:
Take a wide bowl and sift semolina, salt, baking soda and all purpose flour in it.
Mix water little at time and form tough/hard dough.
Cover it with wet towel and leave aside for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes knead the dough again and roll out as thin as possible.
Take a cookie cutter or the cap of jar/bottle and cut into rounds. Cover the cut ones with wet towel till ready to fry.
Let the oil be hot, and slip one puri at time. Apply little pressure with spoon to help puri to fluff up. When puri becomes golden on side, turn and cook other side. Strain and keep aside in a colander/channi .Keep doing this to remaining puris.


Notes:
Don’t let dough or puris to sit in air, always keep it covered with wet cloth.
When you are trying for the first time, put only one puri in the hot oil. With practice you can slip more puris inside.
Thinner the puris, the crispier it will be.
If you want you can make really small balls of the dough and roll each one. I find cutting method easy.
Keep the puris in the colander on a wire rack as you want steam to pass.

All the best, I am sure you can do it. If you have any doubts/problems/suggestions please mail me. I will surely get back to you.

18 comments:

  1. That is one good, informative tutorical, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the detailed way of making the poori...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks nice. Making pooris for Pani poori that too in perfect shape and puffy Superb. great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all time favorite ....... well explained.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this only once when i was 8 months pregnant and made about 250 puris, after that my legs are like elephant legs, when my mom knew , you can imagine, i have to listened so much, that's it for me, we got here readymade 50 for $2. so i dont bother to make it at home. not worth it, but yours looks so good, i have to eat this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful post.feel like grabbing all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy gol gappa....drooling here

    ReplyDelete
  8. PaniPuris are a weakness...Your Puris has turned out so perfect!! Thanks for the tutorial Shweta :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, very well explained with pics.. Puris have come out well..

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy ones.. i can finish off it simply

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow ..puris look so lovely..so perfect...well explained sweety..looking at it I'm now craving for pani puri ...I would never bother to try it at home ..pass me some please..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Puris looks fabulous and cant resist to that plate of golgappa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can have this anytime anyday!!! No matter if I'm already full with my lunch/dinner :P Great work, Shweta :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. All time favourite snack. You made those pooris so perfectly Shweta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow ..Shweta ,
    I love golgappa's ..I can do anything for them.. Have had soo many failed attempts !!

    I m sure to shoot msgs whenever i plan to do them.. at the moment.. i have packets stored !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post dear! Such wonderful pics and what perfect golgappas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice recipe , will surely try at home .....Please post more such useful recipes so that people like me who don,t know a shit of cooking can learn some grand recipes online that too comfortably sitting back at home .

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)