Friday, May 3, 2013

Tricolour Capsicum Rice, Mumbai Street Food Style - Leftover Magic



Using leftover rice is easy when you have many vegetables in the fridge. Oh yes! All you have to do is chop all the vegetables and simply mix some spices to make Pulav. But lately I was not keeping well and had no strength to go and buy some vegetables. I had some leftover rice and three different coloured capsicums. Thus I made Pulav with it. I have made many kinds of rice on my blog but this one is kind of special.

Different coloured bell peppers or capsicum makes it look very vibrant. I used some pav bhaji masala to bring that authentic street food taste. I was amazed with the taste; I never thought it will be so good that I will blog about it. But trust me, sometimes less is better and this was the case here. Less vegetables and spices did the magic.

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (I used leftover)
2 tablespoon cumin seeds/jeera
1 tablespoon oil
½ tablespoon Pav Bhaji masala
½ cup chopped bell peppers/capsicum/shimla mirch
Salt to taste
3 green chillies chopped
1 teaspoon lime juice


Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Once heated add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
Add chopped capsicum and green chillies. Let capsicum cook to the stage where it is slightly crunchy and yet soft.
Finally mix in rice, limejuice, pav baji masala and salt. Mix well.
Cook covered for 2-3 minutes.

Serve hot with currychutneyraita or pickle of your choice.

Notes:
I used leftover rice, but you can add freshly cooked rice well.
One can put any vegetables.
Try other massala like chola masala, sambhar masala, rajma masala instead of pav bhaji masala

Tatse:
Hot, crunchy and authentic Mumbai street food

Sending this for Independence Day Event at Cooking With SJ for Hudson giveway

16 comments:

  1. Seriously soo colurful

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an idea f pav bhaji masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, the rice does look so colorful, but hubby hates capsicum :( gotta convert him, like how i converted his dislike for pasta from hate to love anytime its served :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the magic as this dish is so vibrant with colors, nutrients and a great way of saving leftovers. Yum and need to save for our meals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Capsicum rice looks very colorful and beautiful. Treat to eyes and tummy. Yummy! Glad to follow you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and simple and most colourful one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very colourful and yummy rice.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/05/baked-veggies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. So colorful and delicious! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and so colorful ..Tasty dear!!! I am sorry it is not valid for my blog anniversary..It says desserts/cakes only :( I request you to follow the rules to get eligible for giveaway :) I am sure you will fulfill the rules as it has 3 days to go :)Other 2 entries are eligible such as lemon cake nd chocolate laddoo. :) This entry please post it on my ongoing event Celebrate Series- Love for Mum by Jagruti and hosted by me.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)