Friday, March 23, 2012

Moong Ussal!


This recipe is made in different types all over India. My mother always said that moong is very rich in fibre and proteins but I actually never liked moong; till I tasted moong ussal in Mumbai. Next day I could not wait to make it at home for my husband so I had to use non-sprouted moong (and it turned out quite well). Here it is-


GRAVY STYLE!


DRY MOONG!


Ingredients:
2 cups moong/matki (sprouted or plain)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 of a tomato
2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
1 tsp lime juice
1-2 green chillies, chopped
A pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp grated jaggery or sugar
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Heat oil and add the onions and green chillies. Cook till the onions turn light brown.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes.
3. Then add the coriander, chilli powder, turmeric, and salt, and jaggery or sugar. Fry for another minute.
4. Lastly mix in it moong and chopped tomato. Pour some water and cook covered for 8-10 minutes.
5. When the beans have turned crunchy and chewy, add the lime juice, and garnish with chopped coriander (I used carrots!:-P). 

Serve hot with bread or Rice. 

Tip: - I made it dry; you can add more water to have gravy style moong.
-Use them to fill in pani puri and a healthy style of pani puri is ready.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)